Visa Information for Exchange and Visiting students

If you are joining us in Swansea as an exchange or visiting student for the 2021/22 academic year, you may be required to apply for a visa (if you don't hold a UK passport).

  • Students coming for a semester (less than 6 months): 
    • You may need a Standard Visitor visa, depending on your home country. Please check using the website. 
    • Will not be entitled to free health care during your time in the UK.
    • Will need to secure private medical insurance for the length of your stay. EU students should also bring a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
    • If you require a visa, please review detailed information available via the International@CampusLife team: 

Information correct as of 22nd April 2021

International Right to Study Check

Before you can complete your Online Enrolment at Swansea, you must complete your International Right to Study check. 

To do this, you need to attend the registration venue on the campus where your course is based. 

Appointments for 2023/24 will be available shortly. 

Please remember to bring the following documents with you to your appointment: 

  • Passport
  • Proof of Entry to the UK (such as a boarding pass, or flight or train ticket) 

If you are planning to attend Swansea University as an Exchange student for the Full Academic year, you will also need to collect your BRP from the your selected location within 10 days of arrival. 

Please note that when booking your RTS appointment, you will need to use your Swansea University email address.

Your Swansea University email address will be your Swansea University student number, followed by ‘’. Your email address should look like this:

As you may not have access to your Swansea University email address yet, we would advise you to take a screenshot of your booking confirmation as evidence.



English language requirements

Swansea University requires all students who are from a country which is not on the ‘Majority English Speaking Countries’ list to provide evidence of their English language. If you are from a country not on this list, you must provide evidence as part of your application. You may already have a qualification which you can use - please check the lists of accepted qualifications:

If you do not have one of the approved tests, you can apply to complete a free online SWELT test. You will need to submit your application to study abroad at Swansea first so that we can provide you with a 'conditional' offer. This will enable you to then complete the test for free: