We submitted the work of a record number of researchers (578) for assessment to REF2021, representing a 56% increase on the 370 submitted in 2014. We are therefore delighted to see that we have grown our overall proportion of world-leading and internationally excellent research from 80% in 2014 to 86% in 2021. This is a very real endorsement of the dedication and hard work that so many colleagues across our University community have put in over the REF period.
- 32% of our outputs were rated 4*world-leading (a significant increase from 21% in 2014)
- 91% of our research environment is rated 4*world-leading or 3*internationally excellent, and 86% of our research has been judged outstanding and very considerable in terms of it's impact - reach and significance
- Medicine and Life science continue to be ranked in the UK top 5 overall at 4th in Allied Health Professions (UOA3)
- Mathematics is ranked joint 16th in the UK and is joint top for impact, with 100% rated as outstanding - the highest accolade
- Geography is ranked 20th in the UK, climbing 11 places with 90% 4*world-leading or 3*internationally excellent research
- A third of our Units of Assessment rated 100% for their outstanding and very considerable impact
- 50% of the subject areas we submitted (9) are ranked in the UK top 30 for Impact in their respective disciplines
- 10 Units of Assessment achieved 100% world-leading and internationally excellent for their environment, including Business and Management, Modern Languages and Social Work and Social Policy.
For more information please visit the research areas under each Unit of Assessment below.