Information for Overseas Nationals

Bank Account

You must have a UK bank account to receive your salary.  There is a bank on campus or alternatively you will find many different banks off campus in Swansea.  We can provide you with a letter confirming your employment if a bank requires this.

National Insurance Number

This is a unique number that is required when you start work.  For further information on national insurance, please visit:  If you do not already have a National Insurance Number, you will need to make an appointment to attend for an interview with the Social Security Office; when you arrive in Swansea if you telephone 08456 000 345 they will arrange an interview and answer any questions you may have.

Overseas Nationals Registering with the Police

Your residence permit may require you to register with the police.  If this is the case:

Police Registration will take place every Thursday from 12.30pm to 3.00pm in Student Support Services. Please call Student Services or visit their reception to make an appointment beforehand.

Alternatively, you can visit the Civic Centre on Oystermouth Road on a Friday only between 9.00am to 12.30pm. You do not need an appointment, however, you must attend at these times as you cannot register at any Police Station in Swansea.

You can catch any bus from the University Singleton Campus to the Quadrant Bus Station and it is then a 5-10 minute walk to the Civic Centre (Post Code SA1 3SN).

When you register for the first time you will need:

- Your passport
- 2 passport photos
- £34 in cash
- Statement confirming your employment with the University and a copy of your visa (if applicable)