Going through Clearing? Wondering how that will affect your student finance? Check out our helpful guide below for students in England and Wales applying for 2022 entry.
How do I change my course through Student Finance?
If you change your course or university through Clearing then you will need to update your online application.
To do this, sign in to your online account England or Wales go to ‘Your account’ then ‘Change your application’ and update your course and University details. Remember to change your term-time address if this has also changed.
If you change your course after starting at another University, Swansea University will need to contact Student Finance on your behalf. Please contact the student finance team to arrange this.
I have not received my new Student Finance notification
Can I still enrol? How do I get my living costs?
If you have already submitted your change of course/university to student finance but have not received your amended notification you can still enrol and receive your first maintenance loan payment. All you need to do is:-
- Set up a Direct Debit when enrolling online. This will defer your tuition fee payment until 1st November which will allow plenty of time for your funding to be fully reassessed
- Once you have enrolled, you need to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your SSN (Student Support Number) or CRN (Customer Reference Number). This will enable the student finance team at Swansea University to confirm your registration with the SLC which will release your first maintenance payment (please allow 5 working days to receive your payment from the date you enrol and send the email)
- Be mindful of the Direct Debit date if there are any delays with your new notification. Remember to review your student email account regularly and reply to any reminders from the Finance department about your Tuition Fees and explain your funding is delayed. This will avoid any unnecessary payments being taken from your account.
- If you need any advice with your student funding please contact our Money Advice Team at email@example.com or visit MyUni
*If you have not secured funding, we strongly advise you do not enrol until this is confirmed as enrolling will mean you are liable to pay fees and your future funding eligibility may be affected
What if I miss the deadline?
Don't worry if you miss the deadline, you still have up to 9 months after the start of the academic year to apply for student finance.
Not yet Applied for Student Finance?
How to apply for student finance in Wales?
The easiest and quickest way is to apply through the Student Finance Wales website. Your application can be submitted in Welsh and phone calls in Welsh are also encouraged.
Proof of identity
A requirement of your application is that you confirm your identity. You can do this by either:
- Filling out the UK Passport Details Form
- Completing a Birth/Adoption Certificate Declaration Form
How to apply for student finance in England?
You can apply via the Student Finance England website.
When submitting your application you will need your passport and National Insurance number.
Once you have submitted your application you will be given a Customer Reference Number (CRN), keep this at hand as you will need this every time you log in. The CRN will also be sent out to you in the post.
How much student finance will I get?
This depends on whether you're applying from England or Wales.
If you're from England then you can use the student finance calculator.
This will estimate your student loan and whether you can get extra student funding. Please have your parents or partners annual household income at hand as this will help with the results.
In order to apply for student finance in Wales, you need to meet the following criteria.
- UK national and have lived here for the past 3 years
- have been granted settled status and been living in UK for 3 years from the first day of the first year of your course
- You live in Wales
- Studying your first degree
How much you get depends on a number of factors which you can read about on Student Finance Wales.
If you haven't applied yet, apply online as soon as possible! Course and Institution details can be edited later if needed.
If you are unsure what funding you are entitled to, there is more information available on our student loans and grants page.
... Life in Swansea is also much cheaper than where I live in England, allowing me to enjoy myself more, focusing more on my experience and less on the financial cost.Alex, Whatuni 2022
Once your loan is confirmed, don’t forget to submit your Online Terms and Conditions (OTC) via your online account with an Electronic Signature (E-Signature) or you won’t receive any payments at the start of term.
Please remember that the Maintenance Loans and any Grants are paid straight into your account but your Fee Loan will go straight to the university.