Support for Estranged Students

Students are considered estranged if there has been an irreconcilable breakdown in the relationship with their parents and there is no foreseen chance of reconciliation. Some students may be enrolling at University already estranged from their parents, whereas others may become estranged during their studies. 

Participation@CampusLife provide tailored advice, opportunities and information to eligible students estranged from their parents.  We can help you to access information and guidance on a variety of issues including accommodation, academic support, and finances, allowing you to make positive and informed decisions about your study and university experience.

Informing the University of your status

Currently, there is no formal way of identifying as an estranged student through the UCAS application process. To notify the University of your estranged student status you’ll need to contact us and select the estranged student tick box on the University’s enrolment forms. To confirm your estranged student status and access the support package, you will need to provide the estrangement confirmation letter from your funding provider. Once we are aware of your estrangement, we will be in touch to discuss the support available. 

Identifying yourself as estranged will not negatively affect your application to the University and your status will remain confidential. The University will only use this information to ensure you receive the appropriate support. Your estranged student status will not be passed onto your department. 

University is often a new chapter and we understand that you may want to move on from your past experiences. Letting us know that you are estranged will help us notify you of the support available however, it’s completely your decision whether you chose to access the support or not. If you choose not to, our door is always open if you change your mind.  

To provide you with support, we won’t need to know why you have become estranged from your parents, so we’ll never ask for details.

How do I qualify for support? Access Officer

What support is available?

What pre-entry support is available?

Financial Assistance to Attend Interviews and Open Days
Our Access Officer can help organise your visit and arrange to meet you. Travel costs can be reimbursed (this will usually include 2nd class rail travel and other public transport costs).

Accommodation Deposit Advice
When you are offered accommodation, you’ll need to pay a deposit to secure your accommodation. If you are worried about these costs, please get in touch to discuss your options.  

What support is available whilst studying? What support is available prior to graduation?

Information for professionals

If you are working with an estranged student who is considering applying to Swansea University and you have some questions about the application process, funding or the support package available, we'll be happy to answer any questions you have.


All information dealt with by Participation@CampusLife is done so in the strictest confidence. On the occasions that we need to consult staff from other department, or external organisations, we only do so with prior consent from you.

Contact Us

If you would like to get in touch, please email 

Current students must use their student email when contacting Participation@CampusLife.